In August next year, the world will see a Harley-Davidson electric motorized paved the road. HD-made motors have been synonymous with large engines and wasteful fuel consumption, so when HD decided to produce electric motors, we can judge for ourselves how significant electrification is in this industry.
The stature of HD can actually be a guarantee for the motorbike called LiveWire. But what not many people know, there are exotic US motorcycle manufacturers who also want to taste this segment. They are Curtiss Motorcycles, the reincarnation of Confederate Motors that partnered with manufacturers of electric motors, Zero Motorcycles.
Last May, Curtiss revealed Zeus, a prototype of a double electric motorized motorbike with estimates of reckless performance. Now, they are ready with the final design for the production version. Zeus will be present in two different models: Zeus Bobber and Zeus Cafe Racer.
Both of them no longer carry dual electric machines like the prototype, but that does not mean the performance immediately becomes sluggish. Curtiss claims that one electric engine is capable of producing a power output of 140 kW and 196 Nm of torque, and takes Zeus from 0-100 km / h in just 2.1 seconds.
Regarding power efficiency, Curtiss targets mileage of up to 450 km in one battery charge. Impressive enough if you consider the ferocious performance, although of course, the distance will not be that far if you continue to use speeding.
Curtiss Zeus is equipped with an aluminum billet chassis and uses cantilever mono-shock center-line suspension on the back and four-link mono-shock girder on the front.
The plan, these two electric motors will begin to be mass produced in 2020. A year longer than Harley-Davidson LiveWire, but Curtiss is quite confident projecting Zeus as a direct rival to LiveWire.
- Power: 140kw/190 hp
- Max Torque: 145-pound-feet
- Max Range: 280 miles/450km
- Chassis: Machined modular 6061-t6 aluminum monocoque with carbon fiber fuselage, the clamshell vault battery housing
- Front: Girder type suspension, fully-adjustable for high and low-speed compression and rebound damping
- Rear: Machined 6061-t6 aluminum swingarm with centerline cantilever monoshock, fully-adjustable for high and low-speed compression and rebound damping
- Front: 2 x 230 mm Beringer 4d floating cast iron discs with four-piston, radially-mounted, Beringer 4d calipers
- Rear: 1 x 240 mm cross-drilled stainless steel disc with four-piston, radially-mounted, Beringer aerotec caliper
- Front: 120/70 Zr 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso ii on 3.5in. Bst solid carbon wheel
- Rear: 240/45 Zr 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso ii on 8.50 in. Bst solid carbon wheel
- Head Angle/Trail: 27 degrees/134mm
- Wheelbase: 61.5 in./1562mm
- Weight/distribution : 475 lb
- Seat Height : 28.5 in./724mm
- Configuration Options: Style: bobber; cafe
- Finish: raw billet aluminum; anodized black (+$3,000)
- Availability: Now accepting reservations for production beginning early 2020
- Pricing: $60,000 USD