Leica celebrates the 150th anniversary of the company name Ernst Leitz Wetzlar with a limited special edition of the Leica M Monochrom (type 246). The purist black and white camera is built on the limited edition series with a special engraving on the top.
Interestingly, the special tribute model of the Leica M got the price tag of $7,595 which is just as expensive as the normal series camera, with which the special edition is technically identical with the standard one.
The year 1869 marks a significant milestone in the history of Leica Camera AG. Because on this year, Ernst Leitz II becomes the sole owner of the former “Optical Institute” in Wetzlar and continues the company under the new company name “Ernst Leitz Wetzlar”.
The technical specifications of the camera correspond to the standard model. The Leica M Monochrome Leitz Wetzlar is a contemporary tool for photographers who consciously use the special aesthetics of black and white photography to express themselves creatively.
As the successor of the world’s first digital black and white full-frame camera, the Leica M Monochrom offers the latest technology for creative image design.
In addition, the Leica M Monochrom, with its combination of low noise, bright rangefinder, low-vibration triggering, and high-speed lenses, opens up new dimensions of available-light photography, enabling particularly atmospheric images.
As the celebratory product, Leica Camera AG is only offering 150 cameras which are also provided with the traditional and very popular “Leitz Wetzlar” engraving on the cover cap as a special feature. The compact digital view and rangefinder system camera comes with a dedicated black-and-white image sensor.
Since the product is identical in the technical specs with the standard Leica M, the special tribute camera also has a 24-megapixel resolution on a monochrome CMOS sensor. It also has all the main features such as ISO 25,000, Full Visual Control with Live View, 2 GB Buffer Memory, and Sapphire Crystal Glass.
- Outstanding imaging performance with low noise up to ISO 25,000
- Live-View and focus peaking
- Large buffer memory and Leica Maestro processor
- The high-quality full-HD video function
- Easy to use – reduced to the essentials
- Body made of high-strength magnesium alloy and solid brass top and base plates finished in black chrome
- Sapphire crystal glass cover plate and 3” monitor
- Access to a wide range of M lenses from 16 – 135 mm
- New filters solely for the Leica M Monochrom widening creative possibilities
- Compatible with all accessories for the Leica M (Typ 240)
- Access to R lenses with Leica M-Adapter-R for pictures and video
- Includes 90-day trial subscription to Adobe® Creative Cloud Photoshop & Lightroom®
- Made in Germany